Friday, April 24, 2020

Why is this not "Price Gouging?

So bandanas on Amazon were $2.99-$3.49 2 weeks ago.

Today they are $7.99 each.

Yes, I understand, demand has gone up. Is this not still "Price Gouging" Pricing has doubled. Yet Amazon still allows them to be sold.

When it was Hand Sanitizer, and people were willing to pay even more for it, then it was "Price Gouging".

Where, I ask you, is the point where marking up when demand increases vs price gouging when demand increases?.

ETA in response to comments:  I have 8 large bandannas already. But I thought I might get more. If you read me often, you will see posts in the recent past where I applauded those who chose to make a profit when they had supply and others a sudden demand....Those who are unprepared should pay for their failure in foresight. 
I agree that they (the vendors) can charge any price they want. But Amazon and other places pulled the Hand Sanitizer when it jumped in price for "Price Gouging"  when demand went up. I just fail to see the difference between that then and today with the bandannas. 

BTW, I ordered a 12 pack....

BTW, I don't wear a mask, but I am finding places where it makes you stand out, so I thought I'd keep a bandanna in the pocket of each jacket and the car and the truck so I can blend in more, and have some so I can change them out and keep 'em clean. 

11 comments:

Eaton Rapids Joe said...

Explain how any mark-up is price gouging?

I could offer items for $2.99 to be delivered when they are in stock. Is that acceptable?

Clearly, we understand we have to pay more for expedited shipping.

Suppose every state had a different "allowable" mark-up from historic prices. The state with the highest allowable mark-ups would not have shortages. Availability would be variable in the middle states and the states with nanny-governments would be sucking dust.

If you think $8 is an insane amount of profit for a 1/4 yard of cloth then you should go into the business of making hankies.

The good news is that the greediest will get caught with inventory they paid a premium for and no market...after things cool down.

Pigs get fat. Hogs get slaughtered.

BTB, Powdervalleyinc.com has reloading components suitable for reloading 5.56mm NATO. For some times they are limiting the maximum quantity that can be ordered per day, per customer to give everybody a crack at the components.

That is the middle road. Raise the prices some and then throttle demand with maximum order sizes

Sarthurk said...

Who TF cares? If you weren't prepared in the first place you have no right to claim to complain.
I'm only complaining about folks who whine about things they could have taken care of prior to this BS.
You can get a Boy Scout Handbook on Amazon cheap. Even the ones published in 1920 are right on.
I'm thinking of going fishing, and getting too socially close to them.

bolomk1 said...

I can not say that I would condemn anyone for "gouging".It belongs to them,you want it,pay for it or go away!

Cerulse said...

I think B is mainly concerned about the 'principle' of the thing. Some things can be perfectly legal and commonly accepted, but still feel not quite right somehow.

Fred said...

Consistency is important. If amazon capriciously says one thing is price gouging, but not another that does the same thing, then that is being too politically correct. Screw em, I buy my bandannas from a little store at a chevron station down by bakersfield.

Peteforester said...

Funny; no one ever applies these principles to gold, diamonds, stocks, real estate,...

Kermit said...

Query: how many of those cheap ones came from China?

B said...

Probably all of ;em.

Better question: Find one made in the US.

The Freeholder said...

Challenge accepted. ;-)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076ZX4BX2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1&pldnSite=1

Unfortunately out of stock, but save the link. Very good bandanas.

B said...

When they are back in stock I will buy some!

Thanks.

Cerulse said...

A close relative of mine works for the federal government (in Maryland). Although she does not work for the CDC, she has acquired a rather jaundiced view of government efficiency. From what she has told me, the degree of incompetence she's encountered over the years (both low-level and top-level employees) is disheartening. And yes, although they "move" a lot of people around, they are seldom actually fired. To use her term, most are "recycled" until either retirement or death eventually removes them.