Monday, May 21, 2012

A terrible night

Spent Saturday night with my dog, Schmoo.

She fell about 3 am, and was unable to stand on her back legs. Tried to walk, but couldn't stand and just fell over.

She is 14 years old.

If there was a decent emergency vet anywhere closer than Lafayette, I'd have taken her in then, but there isn't.

So MC and I waited up all night with her. Carried her outside to do her business. Carried her back in. Comforted her. Tried to calm her fear. Held her close. I cursed my inability to help her.

It looks like she had a stroke. The vet I use finally returned my calls (She and I are gonna talk about that when things are over), and told me to wait and see if she recovers. She was right. Schmoo is recovering. How far she will recover remains to be seen, but progress is progress.

She can stand, but barely walk. (the dog, not the vet). We'll see how tomorrow goes.

I am afraid that sooner rather than later I am going to have to make the decision all pet owners dread.  May God grant me the strength and wisdom to know when, and the fortitude to make that decision.

I was supposed to do an NRA instructors class Sunday. That didn't happen. Dunno if it will any time soon.

Gotta have priorities.

And nothing takes priority over my friends....2 legged or 4.  Especially one of 14 years.

Jesus, I was so frightened for her. Still am.


6 comments:

Irish said...

I'm sorry to hear about that MrB. I hope she gets better, but as you said, she is 14. It's sad when we lose our friends.

DaddyBear said...

I'm so sorry to hear this. Hopefully she recovers enough that you have a while to say your goodbyes.

Tango said...

if the '7 years' thing is true for dogs, that means yours is 98 years young! Helluva good run and still going.

I can't take credit for this, but make sure you're keeping her around for HER and not for YOU.

B said...

Believe me, Tango, that has been on my mind for a few months.

SHe seems happy, and not in too much pain, and she has an appetite (until Saturday night, that is).

Even now, she is eating, if not as much as before.

I know thew time is coming soon. but until it does, all I can do is enjoy the time we have together with her.

We will see what the vet says this morning.

I cry for few humans, but I cried for her.

The time will come soon, that, I know.

North said...

I am very sorry to hear this about Schmoo. My prayers go out to your dog's health.

I completely understand the feeling that you have. I wish I could help.

KurtP said...

Sorry to hear about Schmoo-

Being a loving owner--chit, you know the rest.
But it's hard to do the right thing.

Give her extra goodies and let her know you love her.

Thoughts and prayers to you and MC.