Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Readiness checks

So on Labor day (among others), I always take an hour and fire up the Backup Generator...just to lube the internals and make sure it is ready to go when it is needed.

Like a carry gun or a fire extinguisher, you don't need 'em until you really need 'em.

So I take the time to fire it up, make sure the internals are lubed and operated long enough to warm it up and dry it out, and spend a few minutes with an oil can making sure that things that move are lubed with clean oil. Check the air filters for mice and other things which might clog or otherwise hinder the operation. Cooling vents are clear and unobstructed and everything is ready.

All good this time.  Ready to go, and it fired up nicely. Should do what I need when I need it.

When was the last time you checked your generator?

3 comments:

John in Philly said...

Checked ours last week. Also put an electrical load on the generator end. (hair dryer is a good load)

Phil said...

Damn, ya got me there. I am way the hell overdue for that.
Thanks for the reminder and a kick in the seat of my pants.

Phil said...

Well,I'm glad you gave me a nudge.
It's been in the back of my mind lately but I finally got off my dead ass and dug it out, of course it was buried under a bunch of crap.

Is the battery dead?
Check.

Gas smell like varnish?
Check.

Did some dumbass leave the gas valve open?
Check, that would be me.

Does it refuse to pull start?
Check.

Crap.
I wrote the date on the tank the last time it ran and I changed the oil and put fresh gas with Stabil in it.
March of 2014.
Double crap.

Drained some gas out of the tank and the bowl, put some fresh in it and hooked a battery charger/jumper on it.

After ten minutes of charge it fired right up.

New battery being charged, new battery bracket built and new gas sitting in a can.
I have to go to work here in a few but I will finish it tomorrow.
Thanks for the reminder.