Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Feel free to be indignant and hurt.

But don't expect someone to stop saying something just because it offends you. Free speech is important. I do NOT like the message the KKK has (and where I live, there are more than a few KKK members!). But I will fight to the death to ensure that they have the right to spew their offensive message.

But to quell free speech just because someone is offended is a VERY slippery slope. I have read the constitution cover to cover. Nowhere in those (to me) sacred words do I see a right to NOT be offended. If something I say offends you, stop reading, stop listening, move away. Choose not to buy my newspaper (if I publish one) or my blog (in this case) if you feel strongly enough, boycott my advertisers if you choose. But don't take a single step on that slippery slope that could end up in censorship. If we have the right to censor people because their words might offend others, then I have a long, long list of people to be muzzled. These are the people who cry loudest to have others stifled because they do not like the message.

More thoughts, written well, HERE

Edited to add: Still not satisfied. Screw 'em

No comments: