Friday, February 1, 2019

Float

So since I hadn't flown since 1/5, and the day was clear and wind was light, I went up and flew touch and goes.

6 of 'em. 1.1 hours. Density altitude was -2200 ft , the plane climbed like a rocketship. First time I overshot my pattern altitude by 200 feet.

Landings were "Meh" simply because I am out of practice.....Like shooting, flying is a perishable skill. And it has been nearly a month.

Winds were 120 at 8, so Runway 9.

First one was ok, second one was too fast. Third and fourth were just right...but in the low density altitude air, the damned plane just would not set down on the runway. I sat in ground effect for over a thousand feet, stall warning horn blaring, at an altitude of like 5 feet, at an airspeed of about 35-40 knots FOREVER, just tying set the plane onto the runway. Float float and more float

5th and 6th landings were good, but still a bit long.

I might go up tomorrow and practice some more.

Liking this cold, dense air.

1.1 and 6. 

1 comment:

Old NFO said...

Don't get used to it. For every day like that, you'll get five or six that drop you like a rock!