Monday, February 24, 2020

Preps? Got 'em?

I bet that the folks in Northern Italy wish they did have them.

Store shelves are reported as empty in northern Italy as entire towns are blockaded in response to a sudden spike in Coronavirus cases. 

While most people diagnosed with the virus experience mild symptoms (apparently, if you are white european, it doesn't affect you as readily) the quarantines of entire towns has led to store shelves being emptied as people panic buy stock up for the long haul. 

Lots of people in Italy don't have large refrigerators (or =, apparently, any at all) and don't stock much food in their small apartments/homes. (most americans have no idea how small they are)

Can you handle a two or three week quarantine? How about masks if you family is quarantined with a bunch of potential sick people?

I think, conservatively, that I can feed, clothe and support 8 people in my home for about 2 1/2 weeks without having to break into my emergency supplies....even if I should lose electrical power.  If I have electricity to keep the fridge and freezer going, then that becomes closer to 25 weeks (we are gonna get tired of beef though), or a shorter time for more people. If I go to the emergency supplies, that becomes 6 months for 10 people, but the diet gets really boring (beans and rice)

How about medicines? Can you deal with a forced quarantine?

How about you? might could happen here after all.
Think it couldn't? Who in Northern Italy thought that they would have a corona virus outbreak there?

I can't find it online, but there was an interview on ABC where some woman was most worried about her dogs needing specialized food to survive and she only had a weeks worth.

While I don't (yet) believe that things will get to the Pandemic stage, if you don't have 2 or three weeks of supplies for the people you need to take care of, then you might start "panic buying" early...beat the rush.


2 comments:

Sarthurk said...

I bought two cartons of N95 masks about ten years ago. Now When I look at the cartons I suddenly feel like not such a fool.

Old NFO said...

Yep, stock up early and beat the rush...